Avocado ice cream, really? I know it sounds weird but it is so good and the minty colour looks so fresh. I made avocado ice cream for the first time about four years ago, very skeptical I might add. But was pleasantly surprised. I then just completely forgot about it until a few weeks ago when I got my ice cream machine.
Why does avocado’s make good ice cream?
What makes it work in ice cream is the creaminess of the avocado, but it is absolutely essential to add lemon juice so the avocado taste is not too strong.
We used this recipe in our supper club menu and everyone loved it (except one of the guests who does not do avocado:)
How to make avocado ice cream?
So if you have too many ripe avocado’s here is a great recipe to try. I used the same custard base as for the lavender ice cream recipe. You start off by making the custard and just blend in the avocado’s and lemon juice before churning.
If long steps and custards freak you out then you can replace the strawberries and bananas in the strawberry ice cream with 2 avocado’s and you are ready to go. But it won’t be as creamy but you will get it done in half the time.
For extra crunch you can serve the ice cream with chopped pistachio’s and toasted coconut flakes.Print
Avocado ice cream recipe
- Yield: 8 1x
- 250 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml sugar or honey
- 500 ml cream
- 2 avocado’s
- 1 lemon’s juice
- Warm 1 cup milk in a pan. While the milk warms, whisk together 2 eggs and ½ cup sugar in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add warm milk to the eggs and sugar, whisking continuously.
It is crucial that the milk should just be slightly warm so your egg don’t curdle.
- Add 2 cups of cream and vanilla to the milk mixture. Return to the saucepan. Heat slowly and continue stirring until the mixture is thick and coat the back of a spoon. Again, don’t boil the mixture or the eggs will curdle. Eggs cook at 62’C and once it goes above that temperature it will start to curdle.
- When the mixture is cool, blend with the 2 avocado’s and add the lemon juice. Adjust the lemon juice to taste. You might need a little more if you used a small lemon.
- Get ice cream machine ready. Follow instructions for your specific ice cream machine and pour mixture into the machine and churn until frozen and creamy. Store in the freezer if not eating straight away.