If you are hesitant to try Tofu, this recipe will surely convert you. It is really delicious, healthy, and easy to make.
1 cup cooked rice
1 cup edamame beans, just defrost or place in hot water
1 mango, diced
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
2 blocks extra firm tofu
1-2 tbsp cornstarch
salt and pepper
fresh coriander and black sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1/2 chilli finely chopped (optional)
2 tbsp sugar, maple syrup
small knob of fresh ginger, crushed
1 clove garlic, crushed
juice of 1/2 lime
FOR THE TOFU:
- Press the liquid out of the tofu. Cube tofu and toss (gently) with the cornstarch until coated.
- Arrange on a baking sheet lined with baking paper or a silicone sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and salt. Roast at 220°C for 20-30 minutes, until the tofu is slightly crisp.
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Stir in the tofu and cover with the dressing.
For the bowl:
- Cook the rice as per packet instructions. Basmati rice can work but Sushi rice will even be more delicious. But other grains like Quinoa could also be used.
- Prepare all the vegetables and fruit.
- Now it is time to assemble your bowl, get creative with the different colours and flavours.
- Lastly, drizzle the leftover dressing over the assembled bowl and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- The tofu could be left out. Add beans or for a non-vegan meal add fish or chicken as a meat option.
- Find a Chinese supermarket where tofu is very cheap. Only R6 a block.
- Tamari is a vegan soy sauce.
- Honey is not vegan so use maple syrup or coconut sugar as alternatives.
Keywords: Tofu 'Poke' Bowl